Friday, July 22, 2016

week two- San Antonio Museum of Art

This week I began the process of going through all the information of the museum building. The amount of information I found was astounding. If any of you guys get the chance, I recommend looking into the history and architecture of your museum building. I've found in my research that there is often quite a story behind the design and building of the museum. In the case of the San Antonio Museum of art the building was once a beer brewery. The Anheiser-Busch corporation start the Lone Star brewing company and employing the architect who designed the Budweiser brewery and many other Anheiser-Busch company Breweries designed this building. I learned that the architecture of the building was itself was part of the branding for the beer and often appeared on Lone Star Beer advertisements,

After Prohibition the Lone Star Brewing Co. went out of business and the building became a cotton mill before that business eventually moved and the building went into disrepair. When the Museum acquired the building in the hopes of turning the beautiful old building into a museum, many repairs and a redesign of the building was necessary in order for it to fit the purposes of the museum. While investigating the redesign process I've reached out to the architects who worked on the museum and have actually been able to speak with them and ask whatever questions I had about the museum design. I've learned that if you're ever curious about something or want to reach out to someone who you think could help you, sending a simple heartfelt email can be extremely helpful. I took this lesson further and reached out to people out side the scope of my internship I wished to contact in hope of pursuing my dreams. When I received and email back from them you can imagine my excitement.

Helping with the final day of the summer camp this Friday brought me back to the final hours of the Washington week project.  The summer camp was a crash course in animation and after all the kids finished their projects today, I had to compile them all into a single video. I decided to use Imovie to compile them all together. When I tried to transition the imovie file into one I could load into dropbox, the process took over an hour up to and past the showtime. So instead of relying I put each of the kids projects into a playlist in windows media player to get them all to work together.

I've found in my first two weeks of my internship that although it is at a museum, and I hope to go into business, the lessons and opportunities I've had to learn will assist me far into the future on my chosen career path. I've had the opportunity to speak to people in both the real estate world and marketing while using daily skills every business man needs. I hope all of your internships are going as well as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment